Immediate Response: Untitled 2011, by Urs Fischer is a pretty interesting piece to look at. It is constructed out of candle wax that was then allowed to burn, altering the appearance of the work. Before melting, the piece is very expressive, composed of several bodies vertically oriented, there is a lot of emotion shown between them. Once the candle begins to burn, the sharp contours that express this emotion disappear. The sculpture becomes more random in a sense while still maintaining parts of the original below the burn line. Overall, the piece would certainly catch the eye of passing visitors. Objective Description: The work has two forms, before and after burning. Before the burn, there are three people holding each other in a vertical fashion. They appear to be made out of granite, or another grey rock. Their faces have a great deal of emotion in them. Fear or concern is likely the emotions I would describe their faces with. Post burn, nearly the entirety of the highest person has melted. Their wax has dripped down onto the other two below, who maintain their same concerned look. To me, it looks like they are holding the remnants of a friend or loved one. Technical Decisions; While they are sculpted from wax, it appears like granite. I think this is significant because it looks so much like the other granite sculptures you would see in a museum like this. Granite is thought of to be a very permanent material, once it is set, it's set. I think it is intentionally sculpted out of wax, but intended to look otherwise. It creates a really stunning visual to see 'rock' melt away in another's arms. The composition of their faces were also certainly done knowing that the sculpture would be modified by the burning candle. The facial expressions are seemingly amplified by the chaos represented by the melting person. The Work in the World: I think this sculpture clearly relates to the numerous granite sculptures seen in the world today. They have existed in their same forms since creation. These sculptures do a good job of conveying the same degree of emotion and expression. I think it is almost mocking, or certainly playing off the fallacy of permanence shown in the familiar looking granite sculptures capturing similar emotions. While looking at this I cannot help but think of sculptures depicting Pompeii. The act of a loved one disappearing or dying in their arms feels to resemble the same type of catastrophe. The Story it Tells: I think the story it is trying to tell is that nothing lasts forever. The original artwork depicts three people that clearly love one another. The way they are holding each-other shows compassion and concern. This quickly transforms into fear and concern as the first person begins to melt. The love that once seemed permanent, suddenly has melted away, leaving the other two empty handed. I've never seen an exhibit like this that changes so drastically with time, I like the way which it shows an evolution very clearly. Overall, the piece does a great job of communicating so much emotion without having to say anything.